Regarding Ocean Rose Inn…
it was built in 1901. The front building served as the private residence of R. James Sullivan and came to be known as the Youghal Cottage. Nine bedrooms and a small chapel were located on the second and third floors. The second floor was used by the owners and the third for the maids and butlers. In the early twenties it became a speak-easy where the vacationing elite would party ‘til the early morning hours. Secret passageways are located in the basement and under the staircase to the second floor. The bedrooms on the second floor were transformed into small gambling rooms where roulette, black jack and craps were the late night entertainment.
As years passed, the property was known by several names including Narragansett Social Club, Neptune Motor Inn and most recently Pier House Inn.
Major renovations have taken place since then including an addition of an ocean front courtyard cafe, a larger restaurant and higher quality accommodations.
Ocean Rose Inn is one of the last original oceanfront Victorian inns in southern Rhode Island.
Narragansett is the Indian word for “little spit of land.” Its center, Narragansett Pier, enjoyed its heyday during the Victorian era. People from all over the east coast flocked to the posh resort by steamship and train, lured by the beautiful beaches, ocean breeze and Narragansett Casino Resort.
Narragansett once rivaled Newport as a favorite vacation spot of the wealthy. Fashionable periodicals commented regularly on the social goings-on at “The Pier” (Narragansett).
One of the finest beaches in the Northeast lured the aristocrats then, and vacationers today, who continue to return each summer. The simple charm and lack of pretension distinguishes Narragansett from affluent resorts.
Narragansett was incorporated as a town in 1901. Prior to that time, it was part of South Kingstown, with local history dating back to 1675 when Roland Robinson settled in South County and purchased land from the Narragansett Indians in Pettaquamscutt and Point Judith. Shipbuilding was an early industry with sailing vessels built on the Narrow River at Middlebridge. South Ferry, or Franklin Ferry, was a thriving community, offering ferry service to Jamestown and Newport for more than a hundred years in the early 1700s. South Ferry Church was a landmark on every sea captain’s chart of Narragansett Bay.
Between 1888 and 1920 Narragansett was well-known as an elegant summer resort with a dozen more grand hotels and many large estates and “cottages”. Probably the most prominent landmark was the Narragansett Casino, covering nearly one square block from Ocean Road to Mathewson Street. The famous oceanfront casino was designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White. Its towers on Ocean Road served as the main entrance and covered promenade. Sadly, the casino was destroyed by fire in 1900. Now the Towers are all that remain of the elegant resort. They house a photography exhibit of Narragansett’s Victorian era, as well as a Chamber of Commerce/Visitors’ Center. The old oceanfront lifesaving station (adjacent to the Towers), later a Coast Guard station, is now a fine restaurant aptly named the Coast Guard House.
Narragansett’s Point Judith Lighthouse has been warning ships off the rocky coast since the early 1800s. The present lighthouse dates to 1857 and has been rebuilt twice. Visitors are welcome to tour the grounds and enjoy the panoramic view, though the lighthouse is closed to the public.
The sun shimmers on the waves at Narragansett Pier and there’s a salty tang in the breeze. A walk along the seawall hugging Ocean Road allows unlimited view of sea and crashing surf. Brisk offshore winds furl sails and fishing boats head into nearby ports with their catches.
Come experience for yourself the many pleasures and treasures of Narragansett and Ocean Rose Inn.